If you are encountering the “Fallout 4 keyboard not working” problem on your PC while playing the game, this post is for you.
Fallout 4 is a popular action role-playing game developed by Bethesda Game Studios. It’s available for Xbox One, Windows OS, and PlayStation 4.
It has a similar gameplay to its predecessors, Fallout 3. Players can explore the game world and switch between third-person and first-person perspectives.
However, some players have encountered a “Fallout 4 keyboard not working” problem while playing the game on their Windows PC.
This issue implies that the keyboard becomes unresponsive during gameplay.
Before troubleshooting the issue, you should check if your keyboard is properly connected and working.
If the keyboard creates issues on your entire PC, you should apply general solutions to fix it.
However, if the problem only occurs in Fallout 4, it could be caused because of corrupted keyboard drivers, in-game settings, and others.
Sometimes, this problem may be caused by temporary glitches in your PC. In such cases, a simple computer restart might resolve the issue.
If the problem persists, follow the post below to find the right solution.
- 1 Causes Of Fallout 4 Keyboard Not Working
- 2 How to Fix Fallout 4 Keyboard Not Working?
- 2.1 Fix 1: Disable Steam Overlay
- 2.2 Fix 2: Edit The Fallout4Prefs File
- 2.3 Fix 3: Delete The Game Controller
- 2.4 Fix 4: Update The Keyboard Driver
- 2.5 Fix 5: Restart Fallout 4
- 2.6 Fix 6: Check For Software Conflicts
- 2.7 Fix 7: Reconnect The Keyboard
- 2.8 Fix 8: Use the PC Repair Tool
- 2.9 Fix 9: Disable Overwolf Overlay
- 2.10 Fix 10: Delete Fallout4Prefs.Ini
Causes Of Fallout 4 Keyboard Not Working
There can be various reasons for the Fallout 4 keyboard to stop working. Before applying any solution, you should make an effort to know what’s causing the issue.
This helps pick the right approach to the problem. Here are some of the key reasons to note:
Sometimes, the way Fallout 4 is set up can cause this problem. The game settings might not allow you to use your keyboard, touchpad, or mouse.
To fix it, check the game settings and configure it properly.
Outdated or Wrong Driver
If your keyboard drivers are old or incorrect, they can make your keyboard stop working in Fallout 4.
This is why it is important to keep your drivers up to date. By doing so, you can help prevent this issue.
Another reason for the keyboard not working while playing Fallout 4 is something called “overlaying.”
When the game can’t run properly, it lets other apps run over it, which messes up the game’s smoothness.
If this is what’s causing the problem, you should disable the overlay programs.
Sometimes, if your game controllers aren’t working right, it can affect your keyboard too.
Make sure to check your game controllers to rule out any problems.
How to Fix Fallout 4 Keyboard Not Working?
Fix 1: Disable Steam Overlay
Before you start playing Fallout 4 on Steam, disable the overlay. This will prevent the overlay apps from interfering with the Fallout keyboard and mouse.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Access the Steam client.
- Go to the Library section.
- Right-click on the game entry and choose Properties.
- Navigate to the General tab, and uncheck the box for the option Enable the Steam Overlay While In-Game.
- Once you are done with the above steps, save the changes you made, followed by re-launching the game.
Now check if the Fallout 4 keyboard is working. If the issue persists, move on to the next solution.
Fix 2: Edit The Fallout4Prefs File
Some users claim that editing the Fallout4Prefs file resolves the keyboard issue.
However, it should be noted that editing the said file will disable the game controller. You should follow this method only if you don’t need the controller.
The steps to be followed:
- Press the Win + E keys together to access the File Explorer.
- Click on This PC.
- Go to the local disk and select Users, then Your Account’s Name, and Documents. Click My Games, followed by Fallout 4.
- Right-click on the file Fallout4Prefs and open it with Notepad.
- Hit the Edit option.
- Open the search box by selecting Find from the drop-down menu.
- Enter bGamepadEnable in the search box and change the value to 0 from 1.
- Save the changes by pressing the keys Ctrl + S and exit the window.
- Now open the game and see if the Fallout 4 keyboard is working.
Fix 3: Delete The Game Controller
Some users complain about not being able to use the Fallout 4 keyboard even when they are not using a controller.
If you are facing a similar situation, you should consider deleting the game controller.
For this method, you should follow these steps:
- Start by right-clicking on the Start menu.
- A pop-up menu will appear where you need to choose the option Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category. Now you can see the list of installed devices.
- Right-click on each game controller in the list and choose the Uninstall button. Repeat the steps for all the game controllers.
- After completing the above steps, proceed to restart your computer.
- Once your PC restarts, re-launch the game and check if the problem is fixed.
Fix 4: Update The Keyboard Driver
If you are using an outdated keyboard driver, it can cause various issues, and the Fallout 4 keyboard not working is one of them.
To avoid any issues, you should update your keyboard driver by following the steps below.
- Go to the Device Manager.
- Expand the Keyboard category.
- Right-click on the device driver and choose the option Update Driver.
- Select Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software. It will automatically find and get the latest device driver update.
- Complete the steps by following the instructions shown on the screen.
Fix 5: Restart Fallout 4
If you don’t want to go through any of the above methods, try restarting Fallout 4. Sometimes just restarting the game resolves the issue.
Many users have claimed this method to be working. So you should try it too. Although there’s no guarantee it will work, there’s no harm in trying.
All you need to do is shut down the game and Steam and restart them. Now check if the keyboard is working.
Fix 6: Check For Software Conflicts
One of the reasons behind the Fallout 4 keyboard not working could be software inflicts. To confirm, check if other programs are interfering with the keyboard.
You should pay more attention to the following types of software:
- Firewalls and anti-virus software
- Software running in the background
- Overlay software, such as Steam Overlay, GeForce Experience, etc.
If this is what is preventing the Fallout 4 keyboard from working, you should temporarily disable the programs.
Once you are done playing the game, you can turn the programs back on.
Fix 7: Reconnect The Keyboard
If you have been facing this issue frequently, there’s a chance that your keyboard is the culprit.
If that is the case, you should either stop using it for the game or reconnect it.
Disconnect the keyboard and wait for some time before reconnecting it. Now check if the problem is solved.
If this doesn’t fix the issue, it means something else is at fault.
Fix 8: Use the PC Repair Tool
You can take the help of PC Repair Tool to resolve this issue. It is a quick and easy way to EXE errors, BSOD errors, or DLL errors.
PC Repair Tool is also effective against virus/malware related, registry and system files, and problems with other apps/programs.
It takes just a few clicks to solve any system-related issues. Make sure that you get the PC Repair Tool from a trusted source.
Fix 9: Disable Overwolf Overlay
Many PC gamers love using this software because it allows them to add extra features to their games.
For example, Twitch streaming, game capture, a browser, TweakSpeak overlay, etc.
But sometimes, it can cause issues, like making your mouse and keyboard stop working in Fallout 4.
To avoid this, here’s how to turn off those extras:
- First, look for the System Tray or find the Overwolf icon.
- Right-click on the Overwolf icon and select Settings.
- Click on Overlay.
- Now, go to Library and find Fallout 4 in your list of games.
- Click on Fallout 4 in the left column.
- Slide the Enable Overlay switch to the left to turn it off.
- Once you are done with the above steps, save the changes and check if the problem is solved.
Fix 10: Delete Fallout4Prefs.Ini
The Fallout 4 keyboard not working issue can also be solved by deleting the Fallout4Prefs.Ini file. This will disable all the game controllers.
This problem might also occur because of issues with your Fallout 4 game preferences on your Windows 10 PC.
If you are not sure how it’s done, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Next, type %userprofile%\documents\my games\fallout4 in the Run window.
- Click the OK button to access the Fallout 4 userprofile folder.
- In the opened folder, locate and delete the Fallout4Prefs file. This will reset your Fallout 4 preferences on your computer.
- After deleting the file, try playing Fallout 4 again and see if the problem is fixed.
Conclusion for Fallout 4 keyboard not working
Addressing the Fallout 4 keyboard issue is crucial for an enjoyable gaming experience.
Now that you have an idea of the different solutions, you can try of these fixes to resolve the problem.
By systematically troubleshooting issues, you can overcome the problem and enjoy playing the game without interruption.